The playable Classic Gaming and Computer Museum is one of the most exciting, longest running exhibits at the Midwest Gaming Classic! This one-of-a-kind museum contains one of the largest collections of systems from the very early computer & TV systems all the way up to modern systems such as the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Wii U! Unlike most museums where you can just look but you cannot touch, this museum has almost every console for you to grab a controller and play! Whether it is remembering the fun you had with a Colecovision or an NES when you were younger, or if you want a chance to try out a system that you never got to play like a TurboDuo or a Vectrex, the Classic Gaming and Computing Museum allows you to play all of these and more!
What Will Be There?
In 2014, the Midwest Gaming Classic Museum will be expanded even more than 2013! The Classic Gaming and Computing Museum even includes many additional displays throughout its hallways. Basically, the mantra of this unique ‘wing’ of the show is that if it can fit a gaming device, it probably will! New for 2014, the CG&CM will feature a new 3,000+ square foot exhibit featuring some of the most popular attractions from years past as well as some new ones! These include the following:
- The classic Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M) will return with classic computers and game consoles from the earliest pong machines up until the NES.
- The popular Midwest Light Gun Association (MLGA) will return with an even larger display full of some of the most popular light gun games including Duck Hunt, Elemental Gearbolt, Crossbow, Deadstorm Pirates, and House of the Dead 4.
- Prove your virtual street fighting prowess in the MGC Fight Club! Play current and classic head to head fighting games ranging from Super Street Fighter IV and Killer Instinct to cult classics like Astra Superstars.
- See the best in overseas gaming in the Nippon Import Group’s section where you’ll find classics like the Famicom Disk, oddities like the FM Towns Marty and Sharp X68000, as well as more recent popular imports for systems like the PlayStation 2.
- The Versus Room returns in 2014 with even more score chasing and tournaments including the popular Midwest Tetris Championship!
- Console Wars will pit various consoles against one another on Saturday like just who had the best version of Street Fighter 2, and then on Sunday many of the popular platform mascots will make an appearance including Mario and Sonic!
- A new Shmup the Core! area will be added in 2014 featuring some of the best in shmup gaming like MUSHA, Gradius, and cult favorites like Keio’s Flying Squadron.
- A new Friends & Enemies area will feature the best in co-op and competitive gaming across most genres like sports, fighting, action, puzzle, and first person shooters.
This area will also feature the return of several standalone title exhibits including 10-player Saturn Bomberman on multiple TVs! The CG&CM will also feature rooms spread across the entire MGC including one of the most popular and long-running exhibits, the Underdog Chamber, with its extensive Quake and Steel Battalion networks. The LAN Room will return with a slate of popular first person shooters and tournaments including Call of Duty: Ghosts. There will also be a number of different fan-led rooms for some of the most popular companies including a room dedicated to Sega and its platforms, the popular Atari Jaguar Festival (Jagfest) will return, as well as additional rooms that will be announced in the weeks ahead! Overall it is going to be a big year for the MGC’s Classic Gaming and Computing Museum, so be sure to watch us in the coming weeks and find out more about how you can join the group that puts the museum together!