A "seller" is defined as a person or entity involved with selling merchandise or providing taxable services at a temporary event. A seller may also be referred to as a vendor, exhibitor, or booth owner.
Important: This form is not an application for a Wisconsin Tax Account Number. If you do not already have a tax account number but are required to, you will need to apply for one directly with the Department of Revenue prior to the event. You can apply online or download an application, Application for Business Tax Registration (Form BTR-101) on the department's website, https://revenue.wi.gov/forms/sales/index.html. Not all sellers are required to obtain a Wisconsin tax account number. Some of the reasons a seller may not need a tax account number are:
- The seller only sells tax-exempt items, such as vegetables for home consumption.
- The seller is only displaying at the event, no onsite orders are being taken, and taxable merchandise is not later shipped into Wisconsin.
- The seller qualifies for the occasional sale exemption. (See Publication 228, Temporary Events.)
If you have questions regarding applying for a Wisconsin tax account number, contact any Department of Revenue office, visit our website, or call (608) 266-2776.
- Enter your individual, partnership, association, or corporate name.
- Enter your business name, if different.
- Enter the address of the physical location of your business. If different, also provide your mailing address.
- Enter your 15-digit Wisconsin tax account number. You can find this number on your Form ST-12. This number is not your 6-digit seller's permit number issued to you prior to December 31, 2002.
- Enter the last four digits of your social security number and/or federal employer identification number. This is required under sec. 73.03(38), Wis. Stats., if you do not provide a tax account number.
Submit completed form to the event operator on or before the first day of the event.
Information about temporary events, including forms, instructions and Common Questions can be found on the Department of Revenue's website at revenue.wi.gov/html/temevent.html. If you have additional questions, please contact the Department of Revenue by email at DORBusinessTax@revenue.wi.gov or telephone at (608) 266-2776.
NOTE: Revenue Field Agents attend temporary events to verify registration of sellers. Sellers must have evidence of their Wisconsin tax account number at the event.